Founded in 1953 the old building at Mont Fleuri was a Nurse’s Home and later on School of Nursing. In 1983 this was changed to school of health studies under the guidance of Seychelles polytechnic, Ministry of Education. The institute was moved to North East point in 2011
With the different post secondary school being supervised by their respective ministries from1999, the institution is now under the direction of Ministry of Health.
However with different programmes offered at the institution and the introduction of a Diploma in Social Work in 2002 the center was upgraded to the National Institute of Health & Social Studies.